Monday, January 5, 2009

7 Things about marriage

I read this online somewhere recently. It was titled: 7 Things No One Tells You About Marriage

1. You will look at the person lying next to you and wonder, Is this it? Forever?

I agree that at some point for anyone whose married for any length of time will eventually say this. But I don't think it should be taken as an insult but as a motivator to be better!

2. You'll work harder than you ever imagined!

Again, I agree! The only other thing you'll work as hard at is parenting. But marriage and parenting are the two greatest things EVER so all that hard work is worth it!

3. You will sometimes go to bed mad (and maybe even wake up madder).

I don't always believe in - don't go to bed mad. I've learned in the many years I've been married so far that sometimes 'sleeping on it' isn't always a bad idea. There is the risk of waking up madder but for me specifically, I usually wake up feeling better and more forgiving (asking and receiving)! Something about a new day helps put things in perspective.

4. Getting your way is usually not as important as finding a way to work together.

I love this one because it means you did something together. A problem arose, you talked it out, and a resolution was found by both giving and taking. When it's over I always feel closer to my husband, it makes me feel like we're a team.

5. A great marriage doesn't mean no conflict; it simply means a couple keeps trying to get it right.

This is right on because you can't have a great marriage if there's no conflict or fighting or bad times because this is how you learn how to grow and if there's no growth in your marriage then it isn't a good marriage!!

6. You'll realize that you can only change yourself

Sometimes you think that if you could just change the other person then everything would be perfect. But that is not true. Change starts with yourself and then maybe it will rub off on the other person but even if it doesn't - you can only change yourself. That's hard enough, I don't need the headache of trying to change someone else!

7. As you face your fears and insecurities, you will find out what you're really made of.

Painful but true. David and I are living proof. We found out what we are both made of, and thank goodness we did! We are much stronger and more resilient then we ever thought humanly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
link to mba online programs site
online mba programs